Monday, December 16, 2013

The geek gift guide, second day of Christmas: Experiments on babies

Okay, this one is a little specific, but if you happen to need a gift for a science geek who's expecting or recently had a kid, I highly recommend Experimenting With Babies by Shaun Gallagher. The book provides all sorts of examples of activities you can do to test things like the Babinsky reflex, which basically involves tickling the sole of the foot and watching whether the toes curl up or down. The answer might give you some insight into how long it can take for your baby's nervous system to develop and reach certain milestones. Overall, the book provides a fun way to discover some interesting and surprisingly useful things about babies that scientific research has uncovered. So, like I said, a bit of a niche gift, but definitely worth checking out... if not for Christmas, then perhaps your next baby shower.

2 comments:

  1. Author here. Thanks for recommending the book! By the way, you may be interested to know that "Experiments on Babies" was the original title of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very cool! I love the book. And as my wife and I are expecting our first, I am really looking forward to trying out all of the experiments! Btw, I grew up in Wilmington, DE, where I saw in the book that you now live.

      Delete